Thursday, September 14, 2006

My Hubby

The first thing that I have to talk about is the love of my life. This is my hubby, Ranjit whom I fondly call "Love".

Our story goes way back to 1998 in Pune. I am one of those people who remembers dates (and I'm sure if you're a woman then you're smiling coz you can relate, and if you're a man, you're rolling your eyes)

It was on April 19, 1998 when I walked into the Church of Christ. I had no idea that I was entering the place that would change my life in every possible way! That of course is another story altogether! Later on that day, I had gone to a friend's house to study the Bible. We spent a couple of hours in her bedroom reading through scriptures... oops getting sidetracked here... Once done, I opened the door to find "my love" sitting on a chair tying his shoelaces. Back then, he was supporting a beard (yuck!) and looked about 10 years older. (Later on I came to know that he thought the same about me!)

We were introduced and if you told me back then that this was to be my husband, I probably would have gasped! But you never know how God works... very mysteriously I must say.
I was surprised to learn that he was a sophomore in college and I a freshman.

And so our friendship began... We went from being acquaintances to working together for our church as student counsellors. I, being me, made a huge number of assumptions about him (sadly to say most of them were negative!) and kept my distance from him. We were even leading the same "ministry" as we call it in church-jargon (basically a group of men and women living in a certain area)

Somehow leading together brought out a lot of character which made me further repel away from him. Then in 2000 he moved to Bombay and I remained in Pune. Somehow I felt relieved. But God has His own plans, and one year later I moved to Bombay too.

To cut this really long story a little shorter... jump to Jan 3, 2003 (Yes another memorable day!) This was the day when I was asked by a friend to go on a "date" with Ranjit. My mouth fell open! I was in no way prepared to get married nor start dating. Somehow, the date never happened and I was left with a bit of a disappointed, just for the very fact that I like it when people keep their word (a trait I've inherited from my Dad).

Our first date finally took place on Jan 25th. We went out with a mutual friend. I was on a fast that day and had a sweet-lime soda. We spoke briefly, mostly general talk about our families and hobbies.

And so the dates continued, until in July when we decided to set on a date in December to wed. Unfortunately, by the time October rolled in, I got the jitters and a whole closet full of doubts, enough to cancel the wedding! My fiance was heart-broken to say the least. I however justified myself by reminding me that this was the man I would spend the rest of my life with and didn't want to enter a marriage with fears and doubts.

We put our wedding "on hold" till June 2004. Meanwhile, my feelings blossomed! It's true distance does make the heart grow fonder. I started to miss talking to him and spending time with him and that made me realize that this was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with!

After much prayer, we decided on October 24, 2004 as our wedding date. This time however, as the days got closer, I was getting excited! I have always believed that God knows the right time and person, and I am just so happy that I was able to trust him with that.

Today, I can confidently say that with each passing day, my love for my hubby grows.



No comments: