For most people they remember their childhood from the day they were born. Although I was born in Chandernagore, WB, India and lived in London for a year, I consider my childhood from when I was 2 years old. That's when we moved to Zambia. I spent only 8 years there, but they were the most memorable 8 years of my life. I should add though that I visited Zambia at least once a year for another 12 years since my parents were living there, I still consider Zambia to be my home! I spent my first 5 years in Ndola, a small town in the heart of Zambia. My first home was in 64, Petauke Crescent, a beautiful house. We had a huge garden in the front, where my parents built a tree-swing. I could sit on that swing for hours on end, of course I needed my mum to push the swing for me. My second most favourite pass time were my dogs: Tommy, Bingo, Snoopy and Paku. Those were the days of barbecues and summer parties. On the left is a picture of my mum, brother and I with our two faithful servants, Lakson and Violet. Whereas on the right is a more visible picture of my brother and I playing with an aeroplane.
As the saying goes: good times never last and we had to move to Kitwe. Below is a photo of what Kitwe looks like.
As the saying goes: good times never last and we had to move to Kitwe. Below is a photo of what Kitwe looks like.
Kitwe was another wonderful city to live in. Although we lived in a housing complex, I fell in love with it at first sight. Our complex had a small playground (something very rare in Zambia back then) along with two small pools which I later found out were not to be used for swimming but rather to house some very melodious frogs croaking their hearts away at night. There was a lovely stream that would flow nearby our home. Well, initially it was lovely, but due to the lack of fresh water, that too became infested with frogs and many other insects. I still remember my friends and I playing around the stream and me falling in much to my embarrassment. Here below is a picture of Lubambe Complex, my second home for more than 10 years as well as my school in those days.
Zambia is basically known for what used to be at one time one of the seven wonders of the world: The Victoria Falls. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Victoria Falls although shorter than the Niagra, it's much wider. The other unique thing abou the falls is that it's the border betweent two countries, Zambia and Zimbabwe or Northern Rhodesia and Rhodesia as they were formerly known as. The second main attraction within the Copperbelt Province where I lived was the Chichele Mofu Tree. The tree I'm told was over 200 years old and was taller than trees of its height. This is a tree that lies in between Ndola and Kitwe. The ride between the two towns would take approximately 45 minutes, but growing up I would always want my mum to show me the tree. It was just so unique and one of the few excitements I would have on the trip.

If anyone ever gets a chance to visit Africa, visit Zambia. It may not be a great place for entertainment or parties, but the weather's wonderful all year round, you'll see a breathtaking waterfall, some exciting widlife sanctuaries, but most of all, you'll see what will aways be, my second home!





No comments:
Post a Comment