Thursday, June 21, 2007

Games weekend


You never would imagine what a difference indoor games can have on your life! This weekend was filled with lots of memories and excitement!

For one month now, a
boggle tournament has been taking place every Saturday. On one side, we have the master of words, the poet of our home, my husband... on the other side, we have ME!

My husband and I have been spending our Saturday afternoons, while it's pouring outside, to challenge each other to a game of boggle. I must tell you, that besides learning a lot of new words, some from each other, others words we have heard/read, whilst others which were just fluke... it's been a great bonding time. We both work in
BPOs i.e. business process outsourcing firms getting stressed out to our guts. During the week, we're so busy with our own schedules and hardly find time to be with each other. And now with the monsoons looming over us, there's hardly any hope of us getting out; which brings us to the game of boggle. We started out with simple three-letter words; by the next week, we moved on to four-letter words. Now with all the practice, we get quite a few words five letters and above!

If you're married -- give it a try! Playing boggle together not only improves your vocabulary, but is a great time to give, to learn, to encourage and communicate.

I'm really looking forward to our weekends now, just to spend a couple of hours learning and laughing together!


Sunday was a nostalgic day for me. It was pouring outside, while my husband, parents & I sat down to play a game of monopoly. Now, this is a game very close to my heart. We bought our board back in 1981... yes it's THAT old! Cheers to my mum for preserving all these games. I remember days when my "best friend" back then & I would stay up practically ALL night playing monopoly... we were so addicted.
This has been our favourite family game too! There have been many vacations when my brother & I would come back from Woodstock and spend afternoons and evenings playing Monopoly. We also would have our specific tokens too... Dad was always the "car", Mum was usually the "iron", Dada (my brother) was inevitably the "ship" or he would try to snatch the "dog" from me which was my favourite token. Over the years, I've memorized the entire monopoly board starting from Old Kent Road to Mayfair. Not only that, but all the rents as well as the prices of the hotels. Yes, it may sound funny, but it truly was an obsession for me and I took great pride, being the youngest, in knowing something that my parents or brother didn't already know!
This Sunday, we introduce Ranjit to our family game... and I was thrilled to know he enjoyed himself thoroughly playing it too! I of course, was the banker (another thing my brother and I would fight for!) The only person missing was my brother... and we sure did miss him! I hope that we could pass on this game and start a family tradition of playing monopoly... wouldn't that be nice!

No comments: